332 329

Cited 0 times in

Effectiveness of Stapes Mobilization in Tympanosclerotic Stapes Fixation

Other Title
고실경화증으로 인한 등골 고정에서 등골 가동술의 유용성
Authors
Park, HY; Jun, HJ; Choung, YH; Park, K
Citation
Korean journal of audiology, 15(1):19-24, 2011
Journal Title
Korean journal of audiology
ISSN
2092-98622093-3797
Abstract
Background and Objectives: Tympanosclerosis is a nonspecific and irreversible result of chronic inflammation or infection of the middle ear. However, there remains disagreement about how best to surgically treat tympanosclerotic ossicular fixation, with the controversy over its management when stapes is involved. The aim of this study was to evaluate operative findings and hearing results of tympanosclerosis involving the ossicular chain, which in turn would establish better surgical treatment of tympanosclerotic ossicular fixation.



Subjects and Methods: In this prospective study conducted from Mar 2000 to Dec 2007, 38 patients with tympanosclerosis who had undergone surgical treatment were evaluated. The clinical and operational records and pre- and postoperative pure tone audiograms were reviewed.



Results: Operative findings showed stapes fixation is the most common. In 8 patients (21.1%), stapes was mobile, while, in the remaining 30 patients (78.9%), stapes fixation was found. In all cases with stapes fixation, stapes mobilization was possible. Following hearing result reporting guideline by the Korean Otological Society, the success rate of middle ear surgery was 68.4% (26 of 38 patients). In cases with stapes fixation, the success rate was 66.6% (20 of 30 patients), while, in cases with no stapes fixation, the success rate was 75.0% (6 of 8 patients). However, there was no statistical significance between the two groups.



Conclusion: Stapes fixation was found in 78.9% of tympanosclerotic ossicular fixation. In management of tympanosclerotic stapes fixation, meticulous excision of tympanosclerotic plaques and removal of new bone formation around stapes footplate after adequate exposure could achieve a relatively good hearing result without stapes surgery.
Keywords
Stapes mobilizationOssicular replacement
Appears in Collections:
Journal Papers > School of Medicine / Graduate School of Medicine > Otolaryngology
AJOU Authors
박, 헌이정, 연훈박, 기현
Full Text Link
Files in This Item:
Korean journal of audiology_15(1)_19-24.pdfDownload
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML

qrcode

해당 아이템을 이메일로 공유하기 원하시면 인증을 거치시기 바랍니다.

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse